Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Are You A Deadheader?

I am not talking about the Grateful Dead but us gardeners who religiously go around the garden each day decapitating plants. 

Many plants will bloom throughout the seasons if the dead flowers are snipped.  Many of the new petunias are self-cleaning and do not need to be snipped unless you prefer for looks.  During the season, prune from the bottom and the middle on these super powered petunias to keep them going until the end of the season.  Make sure you do not let coleus go to flower or they will stop spreading.  Geraniums need to be picked off when done and then the brown stems need to be snipped off (you will get many more blooms if you do this).  Don't forget, all annuals need to be fed.  I use a super bloom formula for all annuals - not perennials, about every two weeks.

Coneflowers will rebloom if snipped, daylilies, most will not, some phlox will rebloom, like Blue Paradise,  May Night Salvia will rebloom, nepeta will rebloom, Gaillardia will rebloom, Becky Shasta will not rebloom (at least in my area).  Roses need to be consistently pruned to develop new growth, except for the Knockouts because they will bloom no matter what you do, except they will look messy.  I just performed surgery on my Rainbow Knockouts today so they will look beautiful for the rest of the season because they will bloom until November.  Take no prisoners if you are pruning a large Knockout.  I shaped them, cut out wayward stems and will fertilize them again (every six weeks - stop in August).

Don't be afraid to prune/deadhead, it will keep your garden looking beautiful!

16 comments:

Tootsie said...

I hate deadheading!! (well almost as much as weeding) lol
I do and I don't ...the geraniums...dahlias...yea...sometimes marigolds...but usually don't get time to do everything..so a firm blast of water deadheads the petunias...
I know it's good for the gardens...but I just do not like it at all! lol
great post today..hope to see you friday!

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Tootsie,

I don't like doing deadheading either. It is much easier with the plants you can just cut to the ground.

Eileen

Anonymous said...

Dear Eileen, Such useful advice. Like you, I am a great believer in removing all dead heads and, like you, will axe a plant to nothing in order to have fresh new foliage and the possibility of further blooms. In my experience, it never fails.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

It's quite a job, Edith, to keep up with it, but it is always worth it to have fresh foliage and new blooms.

Eileen

Becca's Dirt said...

I have to admit that I do not deadhead regular enough. I cut back my Johnsons Blue Geranium down to the ground and now have a lot of new growth and is looking fuller. I find it hard to do much this time of year when our temps are so HOT. I break a sweat under the AC this time of year. That is no excuse though. Your Gaillardias and Campanulas are stunning together. Hope you have a great day. Becc

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Becca, I don't think I will be out there either. WIth all the rain we have had and temps near 90, the humidity is a killer.

Eileen

Lona said...

Hi Eileen. I am always deadheading unless it is to keep a few on for the seeds. I even find myself deadheading when I am walking around shops where they grow flowers outdoors in the landscaping. LOL! I do it without thinking. I worked in retail for so many years and was constantly picking things up and straightening and when I go into other stores I find myself picking things up there too. LOL! My daughter tells me "Mom, your not working anymore".

I just love your Chinesis Pumila astilbe. Gorgeous! I love its fat plumes of blooms.I also love the Meadow Bright echinacea. Your beds are so pretty girl.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Lona, I can't believe you also do this deadheading thing when you are out and about. I have done this for years in malls, planters up in town, etc., always chided about it by my family.

It drives me crazy to see plants unattended!

Eileen

Jean said...

Your gardens look amazing! I'm not real good about dead heading. Thanks for all the tips! I would love to find the clematis that blooms continuously. Jean

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Jean, I am with you, Comtesse De Bouchard is close to blooming throughout the season, not as prolific, but still an all season bloomer.

Eileen

meemsnyc said...

All of your flowers look amazing!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I'm hit or miss with the deadheading. It depends on how much time I have. I do try to deadhead the roses at least. I'm glad to know that about the 'Comtesse' since I just planted it last year and am hoping to get some blooms from it soon.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Catherine, what is even nicer abount Comtesse is that it is a type 3, and you just cut it to the ground each spring. Storms here again today!

Eileen

garden girl said...

Dedicated selective deadheader here Eileen. Like you, I deadhead the rebloomers and the messy-looking stuff. I tend to be meticulous, and enjoy deadheading and the results.

I leave blooms on a lot of our natives and some cultivars for bird food, self-seeding and seed collecting/sharing. Some spent blooms remain attractive in their dried form and are left intact in our garden.

Most years, Happy Returns daylilies bloom almost nonstop in a border here with regular deadheading. Typically they rest 2-3 weeks between bloom periods. Last year they bloomed continuously.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Linda, that's interesting about Happy Returns. I will watch this year and see if I get more than a few blooms the second time around.

Eileen

Anonymous said...

I'm embarrased to say I don't know how to deadhead a lot of flowers and what needs deadheading for rebloom. You mentioned taking the fuzzies off the clematis for rebloom..can you explain and demostrate that more?