Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thirty-Nine Steps

I think this was the name of an old movie, but it certainly became real for me as I climbed a hardly countable number of steps to my serious (serious because we do community service work) garden club meeting.  This was the last luncheon and meeting of the season, not beginning again until September.

The home we were at today is in a deeply wooded area, very high up, enough so that we were commenting on the lack of railings and our progressive eyeglasses.  This was a home without grass, which is a blessing in regard to mowing, but a lot of work considering the amount of plantings and the various levels in the front and back of the home.

Again, my anxiety level rises when I think of my ability to care for this type of landscape.  After lunch, we all trekked out to visit a member's garden close to my home.  It was a garden surrounding a 110 year old home, stained in a redwood finish.  This setting gave me a feeling of serenity, surrounded by natural meandering mulched paths bordered by large hostas, ferns groundcovers, daisies  and multiple woodland plants in various stages of bloom. 

Everything was small, contained, controllable and charming, even the small patio with potted plants and a dining table ready for an enchanting evening.

I have had small properties with definite planting restrictions and a large property where the sky was the limit.  I am now on a small property again, frustrated at times that I cannot grow all of the lovelies I see on blogs.  But, I remind myself that this is what I can handle.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Eileen, I cannot think of anything wrong at all in accepting, or anticipating, our own limitations which may not necessarily be governed by matters of health but also of available time and resources. Small is beautiful in my book.

And yes, you are absolutely right - 'The 39 Steps' is a very good film, at least in the original black and white version with Robert Donat.

allanbecker-gardenguru said...

The 39 steps are quite a workout!
The question yet unanswered is:- "Who maintains the large property that you visited?"

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Allan, I am not sure if the homeowner has help. The back is all woodland, the front all plantings, no grass. But, I do know to keep a nice woodland also requires maintenance, i.e., weeding, pulling out unwanted invaders, tree care, etc.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Edith, you and I both know that even a small garden is a great deal of work to keep it controlled.

Eileen

Becca's Dirt said...

Hey there. Small gardens is about all I can handle. Small is good too. We do what we can with what we have to deal with. I haven't seen the movie and really don't remember it but that is a lot of stairs to climb to do some gardening. Have a good day Eileen. Becca

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Becca, I think that movie is older than both of us, but I remember seeing it years ago on TV. Those stairs (not sure there were that many) reminded me of the movie.

Eileen

Dave@TheHomeGarden said...

How neat it would be to have steps like those up a pathway! I have just the place for something like that only I don't have the time or energy to get to it! I'm not sure I would be happy with a smaller yard. It would be a challenge but I'm sure it has quite a few advantages too.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

I felt the same way Dave in my younger gardening days. There was never enough room plant all of the things that I wanted. I still feel the same way that there is never enough room for what I want, but I now know my limitations in taking care of a large property.

Those stairs are beautiful and seem much easier to climb than the ones at the Gardden Club Meeting.

Eileen

joey said...

Eileen, a lovely post and so enjoy you as a gardening friend. Your garden is stunning, always, and so appreciate all from past memories to present that you share. One thing about gardeners, we are never totally happy with our 'own' gardens ... wanting more, less, better ... blah, blah, blah :)

Gatsbys Gardens said...

I know Joey, we are never totally happy with what we do in the garden. I miss every garden I have had, they were all very different. I hope you are not getting our crazy weather.

Eileen

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Very thought-provoking post, Eileen. If I had nothing but gardening to do then I'd like an acre or two, but of course that isn't the case. I have the energy and motivation but not the time so I must be content at the moment in my small urban Chicago garden.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

I know what you are saying Carolyn, gardening is only part of the life we lead!

Eileen