Saturday, June 04, 2011

Rose Fever

I don't know how this happened, it came on very slowly.  I put in a few Knockout Roses in the front garden and a few more in the back garden.  I figured I could handle these because they are supposed to be virtually carefree.

Red Double Knockout

Then, I saw a tall elegant rose up in town when I was shopping at the garden shop and I had to have that one also, Carefree Beauty.  I now have two of these.

Carefree Beauty

Many new Knockouts were introduced and I had to try all of them, Blush, Sunny, Pink, Doubles and Rainbow (my favorite) and All The Rage.  Throw in a few Pink Meidilands, winning floribunda and hybrid tea, Cinco de Mayo and Pink Promise.

Rainbow Knockout

Pink Knockout

All The Rage

Cinco de Mayo

Pink Promise

Pink Meidiland
Least I forget I had to have at least one rose (I have three) with fragrance so Mary Rose (David Austin) is the queen of the garden.


David Austin's Mary Rose

As I had previously mentioned I was invited to a luncheon in Chicago by Proven Winners Choice to meet the hybridizer of a new rose called Home Run, both pink and red.  I just had to try these so I ordered one pink and one red from a grower in California.

In the meantime, Spring Meadow Nursery who markets Proven Winners Choice asked if I would like to trial the Home Run Roses.  I said sure, what's one more rose!  Hence, I now have six little red Home Run roses and they are already blooming.


These are the first four I received, two more after this, small but healthy and all ready to bloom.


Home Run Rose

I have a small garden and there are roses peeking out everywhere, and as I said I'm not sure how this happened!

All of my roses are being fed Bayer Systemic 3 in 1 formula but I am not spraying the new Home Runs.  I have already had an infestation of rose midges and aphids on my other roses for which I have had to spray.  Home Run is supposedly disease and insect resistant with no deadheading, so far there is not an insect or disease in sight on these roses. 

*The Home Runs are placed in many different conditions, full sun, part sun, between many perennials, by themselves.  They are very little right now and are blooming with an eventual height of three to four feet.  Their flowers are stunning, bright red with a distinct yellow center.

*No remuneration from Proven Winners

21 comments:

Karen said...

Eileen, I am SO far behind on reading my favorite blogs. I just had to sit down and go over your last postings. I love the roses, and look forward to your evaluations of them. The Rainbow and All the Rage are absolutely gorgeous, love the dark, lustrous foliage on them.

I loved the tour of the Northwind Gardens, that rock pile is amazing. The paths are so inviting, just beckoning to see what is around the bend.

I just bought a Pagoda dogwood last week, 'Golden Shadows'. If mine even grows to be a fraction as beautiful as yours, I will be happy.

So good to catch up with what's going on in your lovely gardens, Eileen!

Lona said...

Surprise, roses are growing in the myrtle. LOL! That is always a good thing. You will have to keep us updated on the new Homerun roses.I have seen the Read offered a lot but few have advertised the pink ones. Your Austin's Mary rose is just gorgeous.So is the Pink Promise.Gardeners are a happy lot when the roses are blooming. LOL!

Diana LaMarre said...

I have no roses, but I enjoy seeing yours. I love the Carefree Beauty. Actually I like a lot of them, but they take too much care for me to bother.

If the PW's are really maintenance free, I may be interested in getting one. So I will be interested in your reviews as summer progresses.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Karen, I don't know how I got into roses! It all started with Knockout and then those specials at Costco and now I have so many I don't know what to do with any extras. It is a shame that so many of them have no fragrance.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Lona,

That's how small these roses are and they are blooming. We have none for sale yet in this area at any of the nurseries I frequent. I did order a red and pink online but wouldn't you know it only the red one is growing well. The pink one looks at little stunted.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Zoey,

Roses are not carefree, take pruning, spraying and fertilizing so it will be interesting to see if the Home Run is virtually carefree.

Eileen

Cher' Shots said...

All of your roses are gorgeous. I added three new to me roses from a neighbor. Hoping they will climb my split rail fence.
'hugs from afar'

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Cher,

I pulled out some Knockouts last year from the front of my house and no one wanted them.

Eileen

Becca's Dirt said...

Good morning Eileen. Lucky you to be able to grow the trial Home Run Roses. And wow your collection has grown too. You have so many beauties now. Your yard must be so full of lovelies to look at. I hear the weather is hot up there too. What are we gonna do in July August and Sept. This girl won't be doing much gardening for sure.

Sandy said...

Hello, Just found your blog. I love Roses! This is the first year that I tried Bayer 3-in-1 and so far my Roses look good (we'll see how they hold up). I don't want to spray because we have so much wildlife.

Only one of my rose bushes has any fragrance and it's the climbing Zephirine Drouhin. It always looks great in the spring but ends up getting black spot. Hopefully the Bayer will do the trick! I can see how you might get carried away with Roses because they are beautiful. I'll be back.

~Sandy

GRACE PETERSON said...

Roses are addictive! I have two red Knock Outs and I LOVE them. I have a bunch of other roses too because they're addictive! :) Great photos! Keep us posted on this new variety. Before long it could be a household name too!

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Becca,

I barefly have any room to put another plant, but I am interested to see how Home Run performs. It has been so hot here in the summers with Japanese Beetles etc.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Sandy,

The 3 in 1 is still out there for review until the Japanese Beetles arrive. We will see how Home Run does with the heat we are having.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

I agree Grace,

Roses have become addictive without me even noticing. I really do not have anymore room, you wouldn't believe where I have put some of these trial roses!

Eileen

Sissy said...

Eileen,
Love that All the Rage!! Those glossy leaves are wonderful! I have over 1 dozen Knock outs, I love them! Coincidentally, I purchased the PW Paprika rose today! Love the color!

Balisha said...

Hi Eileen...I have knockouts at Church and a couple here at home. Aren't they spectacular this year? You have quite a collection there...I so wish that I could have a rose garden, but that would be too much work for me...I'll just enjoy blogger's and the ones I have. Isn't it hot out?? Not complaining after our winter.
Balisha

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Sissy,

All The Rage is a beautiful rose, does not really look like itself in the photo.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Balisha,

It is scorching outside! I don't really have a rose garden, they are inerspersed between my perennials so I don't see them as a lot of work, just feeding them more than he perennials.

Eileen

joey said...

So lovely, Eileen. Carefree beauty is my favorite ... some of mine are waning and hard to find. Stay cool!

Mary Anne said...

OK Girlfriend>>>It is time to share our gardens........your roses are magnificent. The David Austin Roses are my new favorite.
Let's make a plan!

m.a.

Balisha said...

Hi Eileen...You have packed every nook and cranny with beautiful flowers. I guess that I have a series of borders in my yard too. It seems that I'm never happy with what I have...I would love a free standing perennial bed. You know the old saying..."The grass is always greener?" Have a nice cool day today...the hot weather will be back soon. Balisha