Sunday, June 20, 2010

Heat, Rain And Darkness

On Friday afternoon, we had 90 degree temperatures, a micro burst and then loss of power.  We just got power back this morning after two days of living like "Little House On The Prairie."  We bathed in cold water, put make up on in the shadow of light, cooked our meals on the open flame of the grill, listened to the radio (battery powered), wore wrinkled clothes, watched a Thin Man movie on a battery powered computer (didn't last through the movie) and drove around for hours looking for a generator.  We didn't have luck with the generator but picked up a spare battery for our back-up sump pump.

The wind was like that which Dorothy experienced in the Wizard Of Oz, whipping, turning, bending the small trees to the ground, splitting and uprooting the big ones.  It had even snapped several utility poles in the area.  We had very little damage, but all of the plants looked wind whipped.  Luckily I have learned through experience to anchor my trellises and clematis vines.

So today, Father's Day, we quickly went back to our normal way of life, automatic coffee maker, ironing my clothes, juicing up the computers, calling the cable company to get our TVs working, flipping on the air conditioning, warm shower and being able to see where I am putting my lipstick.  How fast we forget!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Well you might of been roughing it but it sure looks like your flowers are living right! They are gorgeous. I have a couple hundred old black and white movies and they include a some of The Thin Man who I always enjoyed watchiing.
We only had to rough it with no internet all day today - just got it back!

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

From present to past, and back. A little travel in time. We experienced something similar in winter 2006. The most romantic part was to obtain the water for a toilet from a birdbath...
Your blooms and foliage are gorgeous!

Larry said...

I'm pleased to hear that you came through the storm relatively unscathed! Believe me, we were watching the radar pretty closely but we lucked out twice on the same day. Regarding your help posted on my site... I hadn't thought of slugs or treated with sluggo in that particular area that has the petunia problems. I'll have to check and see if the Terro works for slugs as well... otherwise I will put some sluggo out there which is also safe for pets, etc. Do you think I should pinch back the petunia stems (about 8 leafless inches) to encourage them to fill out?
Thanks, Larry

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Yes, Tatyana, it was a trip back in time. I don't know how our forefathers did it, but of course they did not know any other way.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Rain Gardner, I love the Thin Man Movies. I am scanning the decor and am amazed that he gets up in the middle of the night to get a drink!!!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Larry, I would pinch off the defoliated part of the petunias. My daughter-in-law's wave petunias had the same problem, mostly eaten, put down the slug control and they look pretty good now.


Eileen

meemsnyc said...

It went up to the 90s today and we were out all day, and when we returned, our poor hibiscus plant was so dry and wilted.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

I know, the heat is wicked and it is difficult to judge how much water to five each plant.

Eileen

Dirty Girl Gardening said...

Those coleus in the above pictures are amazing! I never have great luck with coleus but yours sure look happy!

joey said...

Welcome back to the world, Eileen! After high winds and strong storms (yours 1st), we were blessed, unlike many around us, to wake with only minor limbs down and electricity ... and coffee! Your photos (surely before the storm) are lovely!

Anonymous said...

Dear Eileen, You clearly have been living under seige conditions. These summer storms, which we often experience in Hungary, can be very alarming indeed. I am so pleased to learn that relatively little damage was done to the garden and that all is once more back to normal - even lipstick replaced!

BernieH said...

Two days without power ... I can only remember that happening during a cyclone that passed just to the north of our city a few years ago. We have outages all the time ... but the longest is usually around 6 to 8 hours ... I don't know how we'd go without power for 2 days. But, I suppose when you have to, you just have to. Glad to see you've come through it with a bit of a laugh!

Have to say, those Coleus are wonderful ... being a bit of fan myself, I really like your selection.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Joey, I am glad you missed the power of this one. There are storms in the forecast again today and most of the week. What is going on with the weather? My tall Persicaria took a hit and the tall dahlias. They look twisted, but most everything else looks okay.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Edith, would you believe, we are expecting more storms today and the rest of the week.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Bernie, we had outages quite often a couple of years ago. They put in a new facility up in town and things got better, but it didn't help this time. We have basements here, so that is our main concern

Eileen