Friday, May 27, 2011

Around The Garden

We have had such terribly wet weather I am not sure it is worth going around my garden, but we'll give it a go.

The Pagoda Dogwood is beautiful again this year.  It did not bloom for the first five years and then I pruned it severely after the cicadas hit and it shocked it into glorious bloom.

Up close it is amazing!

I had Dianthus Firewitch on the south side of my home and it was not doing well.  It is supposed to take heat and drought but I guess this was too much for it.  Last fall I moved it into a back garden area and look what happened, it loves the new location!

Geranium Magnificum
I brought this geranium from my last home and it has not bloomed in six years.  I moved it last fall to a sunnier location and voila, it is blooming!

Geranium Karmina
I also brought this one with me when I moved and it has been very fussy until I found out what it wanted.  No cutting back in the spring, just neaten up after flowering or it cuts down on flower production, not much fertilizer or you just get leaves.  This is going to be its best year.

Geranium Max Frei
This is a very low growing mounding geranium, not fussy, seems to bloom no matter what.

Rockfoil
This is the plant I bought at Home Depot in early spring.  The rabbits were eating large chunks of it until I put down the granular Plantskydd.  I have four of them and the eaten ones are coming back, but what is notable is that it is non-stop blooming.

Zinnia Zahara Highlight
I grew these from seed and have not seen them in the nurseries in my area.  They are a luminescent yellow very striking!

Silver Tidal Wave Petunia
I grew this one from seed, can grow to two feet high and two feet wide, border or trailing.

This is also Silver Tidal Wave, goes through a range of orchid tinted hues.

Hosta Undulata

Hosta Thunderbolt

Astilbe Maggie Daley and Ghost Fern

Ninebark Summer Wine
I replaced the Rhrus Aromatica with three of the ninebarks by Proven Winners.  I love the dark leaves and they are ready to bloom.

Weigela Dark Horse
I put two of these in last fall in the front garden when I took out the roses.

The Veggie Garden
The lettuce loves it but the warmer season vegetables are on hold, can't even see my tomato plants in the backgrouund.

25 comments:

Cher' Shots said...

Beautiful!
'hugs from afar'

Lona said...

Oh, I wish I had more room for some shrubs. I adore your Ninebark. How beautiful Eileen. You have some beautiful geraniums too. I added or thought I had three Birches Doubles this spring but when they started blooming they were not what I ordered. They are single purple blooms of some kind.
The Rockfoil is so full and pretty. It looks like a great border plant.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Despite the bad weather, you have some very healthy plants there Eileen.

We have had the opposite problem here as you know, with not a raindrop in sight for nearly two months, making it the driest April on record!

I love the hydrangea in your header. Very pretty.

Jeanne
x

Balisha said...

You have so many beautiful flowers right now.That Pagoda Dogwood is really something. This has been a Spring like no other...Have a nice weekend.
Balisha

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Cher Shots!

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Lona,

The Rockfoil is a surprise, thought it would just bloom for a short time but it doesn't quite!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Jeanne,

The Hydrangea is called Let's Dance Starlight a minature lace cap.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Balisha,

I have such a small garden that the Pagoda Dogwood is a treasure, my only tree in the back garden.

Eileen

Jenny said...

I love seeing the plants and that you named them . I have had a bush in my Dutch garden for five years and no one knows its name. You called it Weigela Dark Horse. I am glad to find out what it is. xxoo Jenny

Alison said...

Love the weigela and the ninebark, and that astilbe /ghost fern combo really works! Your flowers are pretty too, I have geraniums and dianthus here but none are blooming yet. It's been such a cold, wet spring. I am growing Zinnia Starlight Rose from seed this year, but no sign of flowers yet.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Eileen girl all of your plants are way ahead of mine ! My Summer Wine ninebark is having an issue with powdery mildew which I hate .. but Center Glow is fine so far .. I have Max Frie geranium too ! .. I have found that our Mountain Ash has put more blooms out this year than any other year .. I am sure it is because of all the rain .. it is amazing , your Dogwood is totally gorgeous with it blooms !
I'm afraid it is going to be too dark and wet for me to take any pictures today .. but then again it is my meme day for shadow shots so I'm saved by that one ! haha
Gorgeous garden girl !
Joy : )

Diana LaMarre said...

Amazing how that drastic cut back made your dogwood bloom. It and everything else looks good despite the cold wet weather.

I see your seeds were successful. I was surprised to see petunias already blooming. I always have liked that shade of purple.

I don't believe I have seen that Ninebark Summer Wine before. I love the dark purple-foliaged shrubs. I am planning to purchase a few new shrubs after the porch is built. I am going to look for something in that color. Do deer eat it?

GRACE PETERSON said...

It's worth it to move plants around and find where they do best. Sometimes the only way we can learn this is by experimenting. Good thing the garden is very forgiving. Great post!

Sissy said...

Eileen, I am also a huge fan of Silver Tide! I have used it over and over in my planters, it never fails! Your dogwood is stunning. Funny how plants respond to threats!!

Denise said...

New public follower here from Tootsie Time’s Flower Flaunting Gardens Blog Hop. Nice blog. Gorgeous photos! I would appreciate you following back http://talesfrommyjournal.blogspot.com I would also appreciate if you would like me in facebook http://www.facebook.com/DeniseMartin.LillaRose and in twitter @DeniseLillaRose. I always follow back. Just leave me a note so I know you stopped by.

Jennifer@threedogsinagarden said...

Hi Eileen,
Hope you had a great long weekend! The garden is looking good. The Pagoda Dogwood is a standout. I have had back luck with Rockfoil. It never seems to over-winter. After seeing yours, I may give it one last try. I was glad to see the Ninebark. My neighbour has one just like it, but was unable to name the variety. I like the burgundy leaves and the pink flowers are a nice bonus. Now I can shop for one.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Jenny,

My Dark Horse is quite small about two feet tall, but there are many other varities that look simiar but grow taller.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Allison.

The zinnias are growing very well and I haven't seen the starlight. I will look for them.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Joy,

My Pagoda Dogwood was beautiful until we got a major storm over the weekend. Oh Well, we are on to the next round of plants!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi ZOey, my seed were somewhat successful, impatiens not so much. This weekend put dow the dogwood with the heavy rains.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Grace,

I think it is alwyas worth it to move plants around to see if they can rejunivate themselves.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Sissy,

I have never seen Silver Tidal Wave in a Nursery but it is doing very well.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Jennifer,

It will be intersting to see if the Rockfoil comes back. THe ninebark is lovely with pinkish wiite flowers, hope this one does well.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Denise,

Thanks for visiting!

Eileen

Becca's Dirt said...

Beautiful Eileen.