Monday, September 26, 2011

Finding Fall With Friends

There is not a more enjoyable experience than exploring nature with friends.  We set out on a trip to the Morton Arboretum to find the ultimate signs of fall.


Goldenrod (a sure sign of fall)

We almost didn't get started as we found a plant and bulb sale going on by the Visitors Center.  The prices were reasonable and they had some shrubs and perennials that were difficult to find at the local nurseries.

We had no idea that they had their own mini nursery open on a daily basis.

There were many new plants that I personally had not seen at local nurseries.

Echinacea Pica Bella

Cosmic Eye Coreopsis

Route 66 Whorled Coreposis

Little Lime Hydrangea
I bought this one for $16.95 which was a great price compared to the $40.00 ones that I had seen.

Little Honey Oakleaf Hydrangea

Cliff Dwelling Stonecrop

Seibolds Stonecrop

Foxtail Grass

Variegated Oshama Sedge

We made our purchases and put them on hold to pick up after lunch.  We then headed out the the Children's Garden where all of the plantings are up close and personal.

Beds of Lantana, Elephant Ears and grasses

Teddy Bear Sunflowers, Gomphrena and Sedums

Vivid Obedient Plant
Not a perennial in zone 5 but does reseed

Limelight Hydrangeas are everywhere and they are huge, bigger than my seven foot one!


Amsonia will soon be turning gold for the fall.

Hill's Oak turns a vivid red in the fall.

Jack Frost Brunnera along a shaded path
I have it where it gets some sun and it does just fine.

Oakleaf Hydrangea

Oakleaf Hydrangea Flower 
When dried it almost looks like a pine cone.

The Pond

Sedum Neon
I have seen this one in the nurseries.  It does flop but the flower heads are stunning.


Afterglow Winterberry

We could not pass up the gift shop so after lunch we were on a mission!

 A Fall Tree

Lots of Pumpkins

We had a  great day and have already planned another outing when the leaves change color.

24 comments:

fer said...

That is really cool, and the nursery looks great too. Glad you had fun

Diana LaMarre said...

What a great autumn outing.

I really like the Variegated Oshama Sedge and the stonecrops.

Enjoy your new Limelight purchase.

Darla said...

What a lovely place. Love the variegated sedge!

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks fer,

I had not idea they sold plants year round so it was a nice surprise.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Zoey,

I was looking at that sedge also. It looks so neat and controlled.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Darla,

I always am interested in sedge because it will grow in the shade and this one had such a nice shape.

Eileen

Mary Anne said...

EILEEN:
LOOKS LIKE SUCH A GREAT DAY. . . .IF THERE IS ROOM, CALL!

I HAVE ADDED A FEW NEW PLANTS TO MY SPRING PLANTING TODAY, ALL BECAUSE OF YOU!

Becca's Dirt said...

Good morning Eileen. Looks like a great plant sale with such a good variety. I've never seen a teddy bear flower. Love the limelight. I didn't know hydrangea's get so big. The oakleaf is very different. Never seen that one either. Glad you had a good time.

Happy Birthday Eileen.

Sherry said...

The Morton Arboretum is such a wonderful place. I had no idea they had this sale going on! The gift shop always captivates me as well. The colors in the Seibolds Stonecrop are stunning.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Mary Anne,

I was out today trying to figure out what I need to move or add to the garden.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Becca,

I hope you have had a nice birthday. I spent part of mine in the garden until it began it rain.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Humble Gardener,

I had no idea either that they had plants all summer and they were all a very good price.

Eileen

Beth said...

I love the colorful stonecrops. What a nice outing and such beauty and color!

Karen said...

Eileen, I'd have to stop to let my checkbook cool down after seeing all those wonderful plants. And I'd need a truck to haul it all home. Love the hydrangeas and the sedums and the coreopis. I wish my friends were gardeners, we'd have such fun outings. Thanks for taking me on yours!

Jennifer@threedogsinagarden said...

Hi Eileen, I am so glad that I wasn't there with you. I would have come home a lot poorer! I admired a Little Lime Hydrangea at a local nursery, but didn't buy it. Now, I am sorry I didn't. I really like some of those sedum and stonecrops. I would have bought that Neon Sedum for sure! Have a great weekend!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

OH !!! Eileen you have me totally GREEN with envy for seeing this wonderful place .. I would be in garden heaven ! .. I Love these plants .. my goldenrod flowered out ages ago but I still love it even if it is a dark beige now? LOL
Little Honey is one I tried to get a few years ago but they had crop failure and it is iffy here .. but Little Lime !!! I so want that one too and you did get a great price on it girl !!
I loved this tour .. if I can't actually see this place, your pictures did it for me : )
We are gray and windy here and chilly .. finally .. I need cold weather to plant my bulbs and feel like this is Autumn : )
Husband started me off with a pumpkin for the front already .. but I need more! LOL
Joy : )
PS .. Ilove your mum for the header picture

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Beth, I would love that sedum also, many colors in it. I just can't figure out a place for it, running out of room!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Karen, I am hoping that Little Lime will not get to large for where I put it. If it is anything like it's parent Limelight it will be a winner.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Jennifer,

The neon sedum was beautiful if you don't mind the flopping. I azm going to try rings again next year, don't even see them once the plant grows.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Joy,

I think we are really into fall here, although they say a warm spell next week. I still have lots of cutting down to do and I do need to get all of those bulbs planted.

Eileen

GRACE PETERSON said...

What a fun trip. All the hydrangeas are gorgeous! Thank you for taking us along.

Pat@BPM said...

Wonderful post! Absolutely beautiful photos Eileen!

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Hi Eileen! There are several plants in these pictures that I want to have in my garden. One of them - Oakleaf hydrangea. I fell in love with it after visiting the Sarah Duke's garden last June. What a wonderful plant! I've never seen its blooms in fall. It really looks like a pine cone! Thank you!!!

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Tatyana,

The Oskleaf Hydrangea had very beautiful fall color also.

Eileen