Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fabulous Fall

All it took was a few falling leaves cutting down some of my dicey hosta leaves, the bulb shipment arriving and my orange Hannah mum breaking into bloom (header) for me to take on fall full steam.

The Sweet Autumn Clematis growing atop my pergola is only this glorious from my bedroom window.


It's time to bring a little real along with faux to the inside fall decor.


Faux sedum, gourds, pumpkins, nuts and birds in a vintage etched bowl.  The birds adapt to all seasonal themes.


The plumes of Miscanthus Udine soften the roughness of the woven basket, sedum and faux pumpkins and gourds.


Miscanthus Udine
Begins with tan pinkish plumes and then opens to soft fuzziness


This is a faux grass I bought at Hobby Lobby last year and it looks pretty realistic.


In past years, faux plants and vegetables were something I would never think of using.  By spring I had petrified pumpkins and gourds that were either rotting or turned into shakers.  The pumpkins, gourds, grasses and seasonal vegetables look so good now you would have to bite them to know they were not real.

The buffet is decked out with faux pumpkins, dried gourds and Indian corn.

My buddy the chipmunk is keeping watch on the fall clean up outside!


Annual Rudbeckia is one of my new fall favorites for containers.


The small cabbages I bought for $1.25 are getting bigger by the day.  I have to keep up with the slug bait.


Some pumpkins and gourds amongst the violas and cabbages.  Most of the faux decor is now coated for the weather and already have the spikes on them for anchoring into the soil,


Last year I used real gourds and small pumpkins and there were bites all over them at the end of the season.


I haven't put out any Halloween decorations yet, but I think I may put my large pumpkins out in front next week.

Dried Hydrangeas are wonderful for fall decor, Unique on the left, Limelight on the right.  They can also be spray painted for Holiday containers. 

A little bling for the coffee table in the living room, a great hand painted container with woven spheres, faux and dried gourds and a little sparkle.

27 comments:

The Tablescaper said...

You look like you're ready for Fall, inside and out.

Great to have you as a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Rainy Day Gardener said...

Beautiful fall decor! I love the dried pieces..Happy first day of Fall!

Karen said...

Eileen, the faux gourds and decorations certainly do look real. I think it's a great idea, too, because when I've brought little gourds in for the fall, there's always some discoloring of surfaces as they decline. I wish I had your talent to make my yard a showstopper for the fall and winter. I really do need to think about yanking stuff and soon!

BernieH said...

All your Fall decorations look fantastic. I must say I think I would find it out to pick faux from real. The faux look so good. As we don't really have an Autumn/Fall here, we certainly don't get into decorating with a Fall theme, so I'll just have to get my fix by visiting you.

Lona said...

Everything looks wonderful inside and out. I always love your container plantings. The little gourds and pumpkins look so pretty in them along with the grasses.The Rudbeckia is really lovely.

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Eileen,
I love your mix of faux and real both inside and out.

I have not done anything inside yet. I won't have any time this weekend. By next weekend it's October, so I had better get moving soon. Maybe I won't do anything. I will just come here to see all of your work.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Tablescaper,

I hope to link up again this weekend!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Jenni,

I love those little dried veggies, not even sure what some of them are. They do last from year to year.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Karen,

I am really on a roll now cutting down because I know that soon I will not want to do this.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Bernie,

The faux is getting too good, pretty soon we will be using it outside and then we won't be gardeners! Just kidding!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Lona,

I am really loving rudbeckias and am going to look into some that will come back in my area.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Zoey,

What has happened? Years ago I just put out a pumpkin (squirrels ate it) and some cornstalks, no mums, no pansies, no fall decor. Now I am into it totally!

Eileen

Beth said...

Eileen, You are truly an artist! I love how you mixed in the faux pumpkins with the cabbages, and in yur containers. Looks great! Your buffet is beautifully decorated too. Well done, my friend!
Beth

Millie said...

A great idea to use rudbeckia in pots...will have to try that. I also dry hydrangeas and their soft colours look good in winter decor.

Darla said...

You are welcoming Fall just beautifully!

scottweberpdx said...

As sad as it is to think of the garden going to sleep for another year, I totally love fall and am always happy to see it return :-) LOVE that Miscanthus...the blooms are so delicate and lovely!

Jenny said...

Simply Wow! xo Jenny

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Beth,

Each fall I say I am going to cut back because the holidays are do close behind. But then I cannot resist the mums, pumpkins and all of it!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Millie,

Rudbeckia is fairly new for me in fall containers. I tried to plant them in the veggie bed so see if they would come back, no luck.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Scott,

You are right, it is such a process to take down the garden, makes all the changes we have thought about and then wait to see it rise anew in the spring. This Miscanthus Udine plume is lovely when it opens.

Eileen

Jennifer@threedogsinagarden said...

Hi Eileen, It is the first day of fall and I have been thinking all day about what I should do to add some fall flourishes throughout the house and in the garden. There is lots to inspire me in this post. I like your use of faux gourds. I have some in the basement and think I will now dig them out. Have a great weekend!

Rosie Gan said...

You've got lovely table and home decor, creative!
Rosie

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks for visiting Rosie!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Jennifer,

I have probably got some more fall items in the basement and I haven't even begun to drag out the Halloween yet.

Eileen

Mary Anne said...

Eileen, I love the color on the buffet! Those little pumpkins are so colorful. The outside at my house not looking real colorful anymore, but my knockout roses going gangbusters!

See you again soon!
Mary Anne

mary anne said...

Love the mix of faux and real. Funny, one doesn't really know which is which. (Love doing that with summer flowers too.)
You buffet especially looks so colorful. Love those pumpkins! Mary Anne

fer said...

Amazing fall decoration!
So many beautiful things.