Thursday, April 26, 2012

Believe It Or Not

It is difficult to believe how much our blooming cycle has been thrown off by the unusual March weather.

I have never had a rose bloom in April!  My roses bloom in June, but not this Rainbow Knockout that looks like it has a little frostbite.

Endless Summer Hydrangea (has not been a good bloomer in my area) has also been nipped but it looks like it has lots of buds this year.  I did not cut it back at all this year and held off on the fertilizer (just a light sprinkle).  This may not be the best year to judge the results because of our milder winter.

Some of the Type 2 clematis are blooming.  This one is Bourbon, grows about six feet high and I will have to cover it again for the patchy frost warning.

This is Ramona and also is a type 2, can't cover this one because it's on the arbor.

Type 2 clematis are a little more work in that they require careful pruning in the spring and every so often need to be cut down after blooming to rejuvenate them and get rid of a lot of dead wood.  I think it is worth growing some of them because of their early bloom and large flowers.

Wow, I have never had this many berries forming on Amelanchier Regent, birds will love it!

Allium in the border takes up hardly any room, a great bulb to layer where there is lots of other foliage to hide the ripening leaves.

I am going to use less annual fillers in the border this year, impatiens are susceptible to downy mildew, and these are what I have usually interplanted.  I am thinking Verbena Bonariensis might work well and take up little space.

I have given up trying to reposition my pansies in other areas, the heat always gets them!

Foolproof perennials, Heuchera Villosa Purpurea, Heuchera Southern Comfort, Heuchera Pistache and Japanese Painted Fern all happy together in part shade.

Raspberry Splash Pulmonaria looks better as the season goes on, decorative leaves all summer.

Persicaria Polymorpha is creeping up towards the grid, hope it holds it firm this year during the storms.  It is such a striking plant and will bloom all summer if not whipped around by the wind. 

The carex grass has just about covered the fencing that keeps it off the path.

This might be the year for Thunderbolt Hosta, not very pretty when there are only two or three leaves.

Rainbow Knockout
It is important to prune your roses each year, opening up the center, taking out all stems that are pencil thin and leaving some thicker and thinner canes.  Don't forget to feed them and they will reward you with gorgeous blooms.  I bring mine down to about twelve inches and they fill out and up beautifully!

Have a wonderful weekend!


28 comments:

Mary Anne said...

HI EILEEN:

MANY THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF GARDENING IN THIS CRAZY WEATHER. THOSE POOR LITTLE PLANTS HAVE TO BE IN WONDER AS TO WHO IS DOING WHAT TO WHO AND FREEZING THEIR LITTLE TENDER LEAVES OFF!! YOU ARE SO GOOD AT WHAT YOU DO, BUT WONDER IF YOU HAVE EVER SEEN SUCH CRAZY WEATHER BEFORE.
YOU HAVE REALLY GIVEN ME SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT WITH THE CONCERN OF DOWNY MILDEW.

scottweberpdx said...

OMG...thank you for reminding me to stake up the Persicaria polymorpha...I forgot last year and it got smashed by heavy rain...which surprised me as the stems seem so stout!

Beth said...

Eileen, Your beds look fabulous. Everything is so healthy and you have lots of bloomers. Love the clematis!
Beth

BernieH said...

It's always a fascinating journey trying to keep the garden going through all Mother Nature's moods. I think your garden is looking great right now, although I do feel rather sorry for your poor Rainbow Knockout Rose. I really love your Raspberry Splash Pulmonaria. It adds a very special splash of colour and foliage.

Fishtail Cottage said...

so much beauty going on in your gardens already! Do you ever have problems w/the foilage on your allium? my buds on where the flowers are forming look fine, just the leaves are browning? also, wanted to let you know Fishtail Cottage's Garden party starts up next Thursday May 3rd ~ hope to see you link up! xoxo, tracie

deb said...

I love your path...I have a thing for them ;)
I swear our climates are changing. Seems the last few years it's been so hard to make sense out of the forever changing weather. My garden is so confused right now...and so am I! In the 90's one week, down to the 30's the next...Mother Nature is sure keeping us on our toes!
Have a great weekend!
*hugs*deb

Lona said...

Hi Eileen. Girl I know what you mean about those early rose blooms. All of my roses are in bud and that is just unheard of here in Ohio. Rhodies and roses blooming at the same time?
I adore your Bourbon clematis. It is just a beauty. My Nikko Hydrangea leaves looked so terrible that I have been pinching them off. It has buds though which surprises me after the freeze. Have a lovely weekend.

GRACE PETERSON said...

Everything looks so happy in your gardens, Eileen. I can't believe how much farther along your plants are. Mine are much smaller and tentative. Your clemmies are especially gorgeous and I love the pussy willows jutting up from the urn. Here's hoping you have no more frosts.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Mary Anne,

I loved looking at your garden the other day such a peaceful place.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Scott,

I love the Persicaria Polymorpha and hate to give up growing it. This is an extreme method to keep it.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Beth,

The clematis is my favorite, takes up so little room and adds so much beeauty.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Bernie,

Rainbow Knockout is pretty hardy so it will be a great performer this summer, I hope.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Tracie,

I do have some problems with the allium leaves but they are so covered with other foliage that it is not noticeable.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Deb,

The path is on the north side and I am still working on this area to make it more interesting.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Lona,

My small hydrangeas really took a hit, all brown crumpled leaves, hope they come back.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Grace,

We are in a cooler zone than you so I don't understand why we are so much ahead, crazy weather!

Eileen

Unknown said...

I believe everything in your gardens look great! I have researched about Impatiens, which I adore and plant every spring. Apparently they should not be planted in the same area year after year. Their growth is stunted as well as less flowers if soil does not rest a year or so....?

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

What a lovely garden you have--my first time to your blog. I love the finials on your metal gate! Your garden is ahead of mine--my clematis are not blooming yet, and neither are are roses, but all have lots of buds so should be nice when they start their show.

Rosie@leavesnbloom said...

Wow I didn't expect all this Eileen - it really has been a crazy weather pattern for you never mind having to worry about frost. Beautiful blooms from those clematis already. Mine Amelanchier is in flower but when those berries appear the birds go mad for them.

Only certain impatien varieties are being sold here in the UK this year due to the mildew - they think it might take 25 years to resolve it with the wal.types. (I've blogged about this) Impatiens 'Divine' might be a good alternative and I know that it's available in the USA aswell.

Diana LaMarre said...

It seems everyone but me has tons of early bloomers this year!

I really like the pussy willows in your container.

Do you have any problems with allium returning each year? For me, allium is gorgeous the first year, but gets smaller the next year and by year three, most die out. I just love them, but they don't seem to love me. :)

Jean Campbell said...

Eileen, it is always such a pleasure to visit your blog. I'm hoping it will be a better year for all of us this year where hydrangeas are growing.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Darla,

I have never had a problem with them thriving in the border area, but this year I think I will plant something else.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Athena,

Thanks for visiting. The clematis look good this year in spite of the bouts with frost.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Rosie,

I have heard that the New Guinea type impatiens will not have the mildew problem. I do like the smaller ones and may try some that have been treated before going to market.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Zoey,

I did not have a problem with the allium returning this year but I did notice that they are smaller. So, since they are not too expensive I may buy some more to put in this fall.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Nell Jean,

I just looked at my small hydrangeas and they do not look too good, so I may be replacing them.

Eileen

joey said...

Always in awe visiting, Eileen. All looks great! I had tender tips of ferns hit by the hard frost ... no annuals out to contend with in this topsy/turvy weather!

Tootsie said...

I have enjoyed my visit today...good post!
I wish I had more time to visit all of my favorites every time you all post!
Thank you so much for linking in and sharing your post with my party today! I am sharing this post on my Tootsie Time Facebook page! Have a wonderful day!!!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.