Friday, March 16, 2012

Inspire - Hort Couture

I attended the Chicago Flower and Garden Show last weekend with the Garden Writers Association and was pleased to find out that the rights to the show have been bought out by a private company.  This company will have more control over the theme they espouse, Inspire, Educate and Motivate.






The TREND is oversized containers even in small areas used not just for planting but as part of the outside decor.

If you take a tour of your neighborhood you will find as I did that most people use containers that are much too small for their home, myself included.  Stand across the street and look at the scale of your containers with your home.






TREND, outdoor furniture is looking more and more like indoors, less metal, more upholstered and outdoor wicker.

I would guess this is how we are supposed to look in these elegant spaces!


TREND, eye-popping color, tropical plants and vines being heavily used on the patio and in garden beds.







Small garden areas (not sure about the crooked tree) can be very effective packed with perennials and again this year with "house plants."






"Found" pieces have been popular in the garden for years but now we are beginning to see them used as part of outdoor vignettes rather than stand-alone objects.

Well, I am inspired!  I just have to win the lottery to put all of these ideas to use.






15 comments:

Unknown said...

These are really good photos! Just love all the inspiration in the spring. Warm hugs, Esther

Diana LaMarre said...

I am inspired, too.

I LOVE big containers and tropical plants. Maybe this year I will be "in". LOL.

Lona said...

I love the big containers and bright colors. I kind of like the sideways tree but I guess it would not be too practical. It is fun to see new ideas. Have a terrific weekend.

Jenny said...

I like the hanging balls with butterflies. They would be fun on my pergola. There are lots of ideas. xo Jenny

Tootsie said...

awesome show! wish we had some of those here!!!
Thanks so much for linking in this week...I always look forward to seeing what each of you guys post...I am sharing your post today on the Tootsie Time Facebook page as well.
hugs from Alberta Canada!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

Paula said...

WOW! lOve the pots and the hosta's. I could take that outdoor couch home with me! Great photo's thanks for sharing! Paula in Idaho

Mary Anne said...

I too attended the show Eileen. What day did you go? Miss you at Garden Club. Sorry you are no longer a part of HGC. I will miss your company and the should we or shouldn't we's????
Hope to see you soon.

Mary Anne oxxo

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Esther,

Thanks for visiting. We do need to get inspired each spring.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Zoey,

I am getting into big containers also, so easy to keep watered.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Lona,

I would want to straighten that sideways tree. I too love the great colors.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Jenny,

I have actually seen those hanging balls at a local nursery.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Tootsie,

Canadians are such great gardeners I am surprised that they do not have these garden shows all over Canada.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Paula,

The furniture was spectacular, so unlike what you would expect to see outdoors.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Mary Anne,

I had to cut back to one Garden Club, see you there.

Eileen

GRACE PETERSON said...

Wow those outdoor photos are amazing. All that sunshine! I'm not so sure about the "trends." That crooked tree was just plain weird and what was with that Guliver's campfire in the middle of things?

That said, the containers, although expensive are awesome and the "found" white/rusty trellis is way cool.

I'm afraid I'll not be winning in the "trends" department though. At least until God starts raining dollar bills down on me which, well...never say never, right? Thanks for taking us along. Fun stuff.