Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ebenezer's - A Gem In a Perfect Setting

I have been antique shopping at Ebenezer's Gift House on Prospect Avenue in Clarendon Hills, Illinois for many years, but I never took the time to really look at those magnificent window displays, the vignettes throughout the store or Catherine the owner, also an author and illustrator of children's books.



Ebenezer's is located on 14 South Prospect Avenue in Clarendon Hills, Illinois.  It is convenient to the Burlington train from Chicago about twenty miles west of the city.  http://www.ebenezers-gifts.com/


I know, you are going to say this is not your typical suburban window display - no it is New York!  Kitty's son David (who is a professional staging designer) comes in from New York several times per year to do the window displays and stage the rest of the store.


This is the skirt of bows on the lady above, taken from the front window because I was fearful I would break something if I tried to get into the window to take the picture, so I chanced this side shot.


Another part of that wonderful front display window.  I had to take it through the glass because I was concerned about walking around in the very small space in front of the glass.

Please join me on this trip through Catherine's (Kitty's) establishment because it is quite a journey of the old and new all blended into a delightful experience.


This is the other side of the front window with a nativity scene set up on an antique leaded glass window surrounded by figurines.

The building is storefront on the ground floor with two wonderful vintage apartments on the second floor, all decorated in a timeless fashion to display the wonderful antique offerings.


A daily treat or Advent Tree for the month of December

Santas, snowmen, bears - they are everywhere!






This is the candy cane Christmas table with candy canes put over the side of vintage bowls and peppermints in the center with red candles.

You can see how striking this is with a down shot of the table.

This is the Depression Glass Room (tucked out of the way in a long open closet) with all of those wonderful colors of the era.

One of many trees decorated for Christmas

The Party Table


A beautiful dining table set with Gorham China

Green Depression Glass

A Vintage Kitchen


The kitchen Christmas tree
                                

    The two bedrooms in the larger apartment are filled with treasures of the past.

   There are many dresser sets in porcelain, celluloid and Bakelite.


This was my favorite room because it is so unusual.  Catherine's son David stripped off random pieces of the wallpaper that had been applied through the years.  It was like a decor timeline!


The kitchen in the smaller apartment with vintage aprons and tablecloths

Kitty took over another space next door with larger furniture, dining room sets, buffets, etc.  Let's take a look:


My daughter-in-law and I really liked these green leaf trees.


The front window of the adjacent shop




What a great tree with the peacock


Such a creative display on an old hall tree!


A Thanksgiving Table


The Children's Room  with hand painted furniture and handmade stuffed toys


Handmade Baby items


Enchanting selections of children's toys and books

There is so much to see in this shop that it is something to experience over and over. 

David and his mother have made this into an exciting and unusual shop in the heart of suburbia.  Daughter Cathy does the website, truly a family affair.

27 comments:

Vasi Dubreu said...

wow, there are at least 100 things you'd take home.home,sweet home!

Karen said...

Eileen, what an amazing shop you have shared here. I love antique stores and can spend an entire weekend poring over their wares. The store you share here is so nice and bright; love the festive feeling!

Lona said...

Wow! What a fantastic shop. I love spending time looking in shops like that. Time gets away from me as I look around in them.LOL! What wonderful displays.I love the kitchen Christmas display with the old red handled utensils. Since I am crazy for blue and white the Gorham china dining room grabbed my eye. Would I have loved buying that blue and white lamp in the back ground. The peppermint candy display was so eye catching. A wonderful idea.
Thanks for sharing it Eileen. Now I am really anxious to go back to Waynesville for their antique Christmas days.

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

What a delightful shop ~ thanks for sharing! Full of so many treasures and that store-front window is incredible! I'm going to look back in your archives to find your recent post on Amaryllis because I now have my 'kit' in hand and I'm going to get this started today. I hope it works!

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Lisa, Thanks for your comments. The Christmas Amaryllis post is in my right hand sidebar under popular posts. Good luck!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Vasi, it is almost too much to take in at one time.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Karen, I never seen a store so set up that you feel you are in someone's home.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Lona, I loved doing this. Our local paper needs to get in there for a feature. She has been in business thirty-four years and says she has never been written up.

Eileen

Anonymous said...

Dear Eileen, This store looks like a fairytale...quite, quite magical.Although called 'Ebenezer' there is not very much of the 'Scrooge' about it!! A day's visit would surely not be long enough to see everything. What were you tempted to buy?

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Edith,

The one good thing about taking photos is that you can't shop. I have bought many items there over the years, 1920's era picture frames, collectable pottery, etc. I don't think I will ever see it all.

Eileen

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

What a fun post. I'd love to shop in that store. The displays are amazing and I love the window with the skirt as a Christmas tree. I only wish I were anywhere near that creative.

Mary Anne said...

Hi Eileen:

What a great job you did. How wonderful to "open" everyone's eyes around here. I used to go in there quite a few years ago and haven't visited in quite some time. I must go! Loved your photos!!!!

meemsnyc said...

Oooh, this is such an amazing store! I'll have to tell my sister about it, who lives outside of Chicago. I see so many amazing things, it would be hard to leave the store without buying some goodies!

Diana LaMarre said...

Oh, I would sure enjoy an afternoon touring that shop! I really liked the candy cand table and the vintage kitchen.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Catherine,

That ribbon was great on the skirt, my daughter-in-law thought she saw it at Hobby Lobby, the craft store. They were simple bows that I'll bet your girls could make. The lady is another story, where would be ever get that?

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Mary Anne,

We must go there some day and do lunch at you know where! (if they are going to serve lunch)

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Zoey, you would love this place. They also have a country room with more primative decor which I didn't even get a chance to photograph.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Meemsyc,

If you ever come up to visit your sister, you should both go, cute little town.

Eileen

Jennifer@threedogsinagarden said...

What a great little store! I saw lots of things I liked including the Santa holding the tree. I really like the hand painted children's furniture- I can't wait to have a grandchild to spoil with items like this.

joey said...

After a few busy/crazy days, including a birthday, so enjoyed catching up on your last few posts, Eileen, and this is a doozy ... many of my favorite things! I see a stunning piece of Flow Blue on top of the case behind the depression glass (I inherited a 12-piece place setting plus many serving pieces, one of my most treasured possessions). Thank you for sharing ... you did a fine job showcasing Ebenezer's :)

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Joey, she has a lot more flow blue than what is seen in the photo. I wanted someone to see her shop since our local paper has never done a piece on her (thirty-four years in business).

You must be thrilled with the collection you inherited!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Jennifer, that bedroom set is marvelous and all of the little stuffed animals!

Eileen

CanadianGardenJoy said...

My goodness Eileen I would have loved seeing that store in person it is BEAUTIFUL !!! ... I love all the Christmas ornaments and decorations and talk about WOW ! with that peacock on the top of the tree : )
My favorite is the kitchen .. so retro and gorgeous .. totally warm and welcoming : )
This was a wonderful tour and you did it perfectly for us girl !
Joy : )

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Joy, the settings in each area of the store are changed out often, always something new to see.

Eileen

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron

garden girl said...

Oh. my. gosh! What a gorgeous, beautiful labor of love. I can see I need to find the time to go there.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi GG,

You would love this shop if it isn't too far for you.

Eileen