Monday, August 23, 2010

A Sunday Cabbage Hunt

Well, I was not just looking for cabbages but I thought that if I could find a few more of my Let's Dance Hydrangeas at one of my favorite nurseries I would also pick up some large decorative cabbages.  My concrete planters in the back of my home have put on quite a show this season, but they just couldn't keep up with that western sun in the afternoon.  They look really spent so I thought I would just put in some cabbages if I could find them.


There are areas of containers, benches and fencing throughout the entire nursery.


Well, we arrived mid morning and hardly anyone was there so one of the salespeople spent quite a bit of time with me trying to find a plant that would replace the one I had asked for  (which they didn't have).  I finally thanked her for all of her time and expertise and went in search of my cabbages.  I spotted a frilly tall one in a container but was told this was the only one they have received so far.

I love these tall pots in the middle of a very casual garden.  They are unexpected because they look so modern and streamlined.  A garden should always have something unexpected!


More great containers and ironwork

Mums were on two long tables, tightly budded and from a Minnesota grower.  They looked wonderful, softly mounded and just a peek of the color ready to explode.  I dismissed them because I know if this weather continues mums will be a plant of the past by mid September.









This was a great display of Miscanthus, plenty of room!

I have frequented this nursery for the past twenty-five years, and it is a nursery, as they grow most of their own plants further west and truck them into this location.  They also buy some of their shrubbery and perennial stock from Proven Winners and of, course, their annuals are also bought from a distributor.  Although, they do grow some unusual annuals each year like Amaranthus, Love Lies Bleeding and Nicotiana Alata and many others that are difficult to start from seed.

There were many gardens labeled with the types of plants that would do well under certain conditions.

Pond Plants



Great dog items in both concrete and ironwork

I have purchased decorative iron fencing here as they are one of the few places that I have found locally that stocks a wide array of fencing, arbors and gazebos.  No cabbages this weekend but it gives me an excuse for another garden trip next week!

21 comments:

Dave@TheHomeGarden said...

Cabbages will be out soon I bet! The ironwork stuff looks pretty neat. It's always fun to peruse the nurseries.

Anonymous said...

Dear Eileen, Your local nursery looks to be a excellent place to explore with plenty of variation between good garden plants and stylish garden ornament. I do agree when you say that all gardens benefit from the unexpected.

I am rather sorry that you did not find your ornamental cabbages - they are such fun and just the right kind of thing towards the close of the summer.

Nancy's Notes said...

What a great nursery! Love them too, great place to just wonder around! Good luck with your search for ornamental cabbages!

Have a great week!

Nancy

Lona said...

Hi Eileen. Your local nursery has some terrific garden decor items. I want the screen behind the bench. So pretty! Hoe Pye weed grows native around here so it seems strange to see it at a nursery but it is a tall plant hat adds interest this time of year. They have so many great pots, if I only could afford some of them. They are usually beyond my budget. Hope you find your cabbages.

Larry said...

Looks like a neat nursery! I read on the internet that cabbage seeds should be germinated 10 weeks before anticipated first frost. In the past I started them at the end of June and have to admit that I had problems with moths etc. in the garden. So... my 250 ornamental cabbage plants are just now getting their first true leaves... I am a bit nervous that I waited too long...time will certainly tell. They are all of the Color Up variety... no kale although I like that too. I'm really hoping for color through the first blizzard!! L

Unknown said...

Eileen that's a great nursery to have close by and it looks pretty big too with lots of great stuff. I also did a post on my favorite nursery today. ;-) Isn't is just fun? Here the season is almost over and we're still hunting for one more treasure. LOL

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Dave, I know the cabbages like cooler weather, but they will look so much better than the dried up flowers.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Edith, I did see an unusual cabbage last year that would fill a whole large container. I am not sure what it is called but very impressive.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Nancy, I am afraid these unique nurseries are fading fast around here because of the economy. Three local ones have closed in the last few years.

Eileen

Becca's Dirt said...

I love to cruise in the nursery's. Looks that is a good one. I love the all the artsy garden art. I am ready for some change of the seasons and some cooler weather.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I just loved the tour! It's so fun seeing what nurseries are like in other places. They have such pretty plantings there.
I'm also not letting myself be tempted by mums yet. Even thought it feels like fall is already here, I know the mums seem to have one bloom and then are done.
Hope you find your cabbages!

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Lona, I very rarely would buy a pot at a nursery as they are all too expensive. Although, I have a small family owned plant nursery close to my home that has pretty good prices on their pots. T.J. Max has some great ones if your lucky early in the season.

I haven't had Joe Pye Weed since my last house.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Larry, I like the kale and swiss chard also, but I never thought of starting them from seed. This is a great idea because they are so expensive. I like the cabbages because they last until December.

I saw a very large leafed cabbage last year, don't know the name, but each head would fill a large container.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi RainGardener, yes I am diappointed that I couldn't find my hydrangea. I wanted to put them in this fall so they would be ready to go next spring. I guess I will just have to wait.

This nursery on my blog has a great sale table at the end of the season with plants that look almost dead. My daughter-in-law bought a bunch last year and they came back beautiful this spring and summer.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Becca, I am more than ready to give up this summer!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Catherine, I know I will buy some mums. It just isn't fall around here without mums. The cabbages are pretty but just not the same.

Eileen

Jim Groble said...

What a wonderful place. if i may ask, whwere is it located. I am in Chicago monthly and there are items in your pics that are calling me. jim

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Jim, if you are in Downers, it's about fifteen minutes (Growing Place - Naperville).

Eileen

joey said...

A lovely nursery tour, Eileen ... have fun on next week's jaunt :)

garden girl said...

looks like a very nice place to shop Eileen. I love our local independent nurseries and garden centers. Lots of stuff there that can't be found in the carbon-copy big box stores.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

This is the Growing Place in Naperville - don't know how close this would be for you. They have more ironwork than I have seen anywhere else.

Eileen