Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Looking For Beauty

It is not difficult this year finding beauty everywhere as I look around the garden.  The roses are bigger and better than ever (although I do notice some brown fringes on the petals from the frosts that occurred before they opened).

Carefree Beauty is huge this year!  There were years I almost pulled it out because it just didn't seem to be flourishing.

Pink Promise is my only hybrid tea that I purchased packaged with a shrub rose.  Both were All America Winners.  This one was almost pulled because for the last few years it did nothing, small flowers and very few branches.

This year Pink Promise certainly deserves the award, huge blooms with a wonderful fragrance.

Cinco De Mayo
This is the shrub rose that came packaged with Pink Promise.

I have decided not to use annuals this year in the border.  The impatiens were getting so large that they interfered with the roses.

Rainbow Knockout
This is a rose that is the first to bloom in the spring and the last to bloom in the fall.

The back border is full and just about ready to give up the spring blooming flowers to make way for summer blooms.

I was surprised when I saw the fritillaria coming up because I did not remember planting them.  I think I bought them at the Morton Arboretum last fall.

This small border is to the side of the veggie garden and has really filled in this year.  Geranium Magnificum is a short bloomer, so it will be cut down to make new leaves which turn red in the fall.  The space is shared with Heuchera Carmel and Miracle, Max Frei Geranium Sport and spring flowering bulbs.

Mary Rose( David Austin Rose Shrub Rose)
This is my favorite rose not just because of the way it looks but the fragrance is intoxicating.  It is a rebloomer.

Celosia Intenz
This is a new introduction that is supposed to grow about two feet tall and wide.  I have never had much luck with celosia but I couldn't resist trying this one because of the flower and leaf color.

La Bella Snapdragon
I grew this from seed last spring but it got crowded out last summer in the south border.  It came back this year because of the mild winter, moved it to a better location, and it is just beautiful.

Krinkled White Peony
This is my only peony, might find room for some tree peonies that rise above the other border plants.

The best of the best petunias, Bordeaux and Bubblegum!

Gaura Picotee
Sometimes a perennial, sometimes an annual but I am trying it in my south side raised bed to add some color before the daylilies bloom.

Dicentra Spectablis Red Valentine
These are new this spring and in a bed on the north side where they can die down undisturbed without affecting the growth of any other plantings.  I think I will move the pink ones into this area, another redo!

Rouge Cardinal Clematis (Type III)

The Type III clematis are just beginning to bloom.  Now is the time to cut down the Type II's as they finish their major display if you want to rejuvenate them for next spring.


16 comments:

Jennifer said...

Eileen, My clematis never look as good as yours always manage to. Do you have a secret to getting them looking so gosh darn pretty? Your roses are looking great and are well ahead of mine which have only leafed out. Love that snapdragon! I have never seen one like this before.

Jenny said...

Your garden is already in FULL bloom andlooks perfect. We're dragging our heels here in Holland this year with the cold. xo Jenny

Patrikswim said...

Beautiful! This was a great year for roses at my garden too!

Diana LaMarre said...

Wow, so many beauties! Your roses are gorgeous.

Celosia Intenz is very interesting, too. I will be interested to see what you think of it at year's end.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Jennifer,

I was told by an English gardener that clematis like to be fed. So since then I have fed them each spring an organic fertilizer, 5-3-3marketed by the brand name Espoma.

The snapdragon was one that I saw at the Chicago Flower and Garden Show last year, it was beautiful, a taller variety.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Jenny,

After Texas I am sure you are waiting for the cold to go away. However, I do not like the very hot weather we have been getting the past few years.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Patrick,

The roses are unusually large this year, hope I don't get the insect problems I got last year.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Yes Zoey,

I will be waiting until the end of the summer to judge especially since I am not a celosia lover.

Eileen

Lona said...

Eileen your garden get more beautiful each year. The Care Free roses are so pretty. I bet you are glad now you waited. LOL! Have a wonderful week.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Lona,

I think it show what a little warmer winter can do, I like it! I babied this bush each year, pruning, feeding, etc. and it finally performed.

Eileen

Beth said...

Love the guara and frittilaria, as well as your roses! I have a Carefree Beauty as well - mine is a Buck rose and is quite hardy as well as pretty. I just purchased some David Austin roses this year after seeing them on the blogs. They are quite amazing and I hope mine do well. I reallly like your gardens, Eileen! You do a great job!
xo Beth

Balisha said...

I love that snapdragon. Your roses are lovely...Have a nice weekend.
Balisha

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Beth,

I am trying the gaura again, not always hardy here/

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Balisha,

I didn't get much from this snapdragon last year, but it wintered over and is just lovely this spring.

Eileen

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Wow !! Eileen girl I should have commented on this post first because I asked how your garden was doing in the next post .. I think I can SEE how gorgeous your garden is with all of those beautiful roses!!
I planted my first Knock Out rose this year .. Cherry Pie , I think was the name .. so I am hoping that and all of my Pardon Me day lilies will look great together bordering my border ! haha
Joy

GRACE PETERSON said...

Beautiful! Your Mary Rose is gorgeous and I love Geranium magnificum. And that snapdragon is amazing. Of course, it's pink!! :)