Monday, January 30, 2012

Choices

Each year at this time we are overwhelmed with all of the new plant introductions and some older introductions that we haven't tried yet.

Emailing back and forth with a friend I realized we were planning our gardens for the upcoming seasons.  We both wanted year round color so many of the plants we bandied back and forth will put on a show in the garden all year.

Hydrangea White Dome
This is a variety that was recommended by the Proven Winners Choice representative at the Mid-Am Show.  It grows on very strong stems, will not flatten out in storms and dries beautifully for winter interest.  It is related to Annabelle but has none of its floppiness.

Hydrangea Pinky Winky
Grows in full sun to part shade, flowers over a long time period

Hydrangea Let's Dance (Starlight)
Small hydrangea, two to three feet, blooms on old and new wood.  I was informed that if your do not prune it down in the fall or spring it will go through two bloom cycles.  However, in a very cold winter this may not be a choice because of dieback.

Hydrangea Let's Dance (Moonlight)
The look of the mophead is sometimes preferred as the plant will look fuller.

Hydrangea Little Lime
A smaller version of Limelight with all of the same characteristics, holds its flowerheads all winter

Not all hydrangeas hold their flowerheads well through the fall and winter and some of the oak leaved varieties do not look good in the fall (leaves become mottled).

Hydrangea Bobo
This is a new smaller paniculata whose panicles do not droop.  It will take full to part sun and likes moisture.

Azalea Karen
Beautiful flowers in the spring

Azalea Karen
Great fall color as it is an evergreen variety

Azalea Bollywood
A newer variety, evergreen with variegated leaves


Molinia Moorhexe 
One of the many grasses that can be left standing over the winter months and add great interest


Miscanthus Little Kitten
One of the few miscanthus grasses that will stay standing throughout the winter season


The Panicums are also great for winter interest and there are many to choose from.

Panicum Northwind


There is no better time to plan where you want winter interest than in the winter.  Looking out into my back garden I can see some areas that are a combination of sticks (roses) and bare ground, not much interest there.  


19 comments:

Lona said...

Such beautiful choices to choose from Eileen. Of course I love all hydrangeas.With the azaleas and grasses you have the backbones of wonderful garden interest throughout the seasons.

gardeningnaturallywithclaudia.blogspot.com said...

Really like the hydrangea 'BOBO'- esp. since my landscape suddenly turned full sun last season. Thanks for the suggestion!

Larry said...

I had just run across hydrangea 'Bobo' earlier today... it appears to be quite amazing. It's certainly wonderful to have so many new cultivars of hydrangeas, heucheras, and hellebores to name a few... keeps the 'spice in gardening! Larry

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Lona,

I never was an azalea lover until I found the evergreen varities.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Claudia,

I am looking at Bobo because it is small enough to put in my back garden.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Larry,

I may just look into some of these smaller varieties for my back garden, especially the ones that hold their dried flowers.

Eileen

Beth said...

Hi Eileen, I have Starlight Let's Dance as well as Pinky Winky - but both are only one or two years old so the best is yet to come. I've made big plans for the garden this year. Always wanting to add a little, subtract a little, mix things up...in search of perfection. lol
Beth

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Beth,

I wish I had the room for Pinky Winky, the colors are wonderful. I am expecting Starlight to be much better this year.

Eileen

Diana LaMarre said...

What lovely hydrangea choices, Eileen. I will have to remember this post when I get out to my local nurseries this spring.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I want to join in this planning for upcoming spring! I have a big project..a small naturallake/dam/waterfall. wish you were closer so I could pick your brain!
Of course hydrangeas will be plentiful..just love them.
Ronelle

Balisha said...

I agree that looking at your "bare bones" garden in the winter is a good time to plan for winter interest.I'm not planting as much anymore, but love to look at what you and others are planning for the coming year. Bobo is a winner....I also like Pinky Winky.
Balisha

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Eileen girl I so would love Little Lime : ) I have to find places for what plants I am moving around my garden as it is .. and this rose kick I am on .. but what gardener can resist NEW plants eh ? LOL
Joy

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Zoey,

My problem is finding the space to put even one of these new lovlies!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Ronelle,

Your property looks beautiful, so natural. Your climate is probably perfect for hydrangeas. We can get so hot during the summer that plants just curl up.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Balisha,

Such unusual weather, I may even go out and do a little garden cleaning today, like those withered fall cabbages!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Joy,

I have the same problem, lots of plans and so little room.

Eileen

Jennifer@threedogsinagarden said...

Hi Eileen, So many tempting shrubs and grasses in this post! I wish my budget was not so limited this spring. The Little Limelight hydrangea is already on my wish list and I like the Hydrangea White Dome very much as well.

Karen said...

Hi Eileen, oh, so many of those hydrangeas are tempting me. The flowers are amazing. I have Pinky Winky, planted it this past summer, so we'll see if it performs well. Love all the grasses, too...always an education here!

Rosie@leavesnbloom said...

I've taken note of a few of these new hydrangea varieties especially that smaller limelight one.