Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Colossal Coleus

Do you remember what the word coleus used to conjure up in past years?  Well, I do, these rust, burgundy, green combinations of leaves that you planted in the shade.  I think I put them in one year and then decided that this was not my type of plant.


Indian Summer

Wow, have things changed!  Coleus is a temptress, a mood changer, and a vibrant plant in the garden.  How often do we get a plant that can grow in sun or shade?  I  am having trouble keeping up with the varieties and apologize ahead of time if I miss one or two.


Redhead


Pineapple Splash


This variety had sufferred frost damage and very slowly is coming back, but I don't think it is going to reach full potential - tag thrown out with the other one that died.


Electric Lime

I couldn't contain myself sampling some new varieties this year and even convinced my daughter-in-law to try one that I couldn't fit in.  It was called Trusty Rusty.

I have only had a problem with one that I have grown in the past Sedona.  It is usually a very prolific coleus for the sun but this year I think it got a bug, stunted eaten leaves.  I sprayed it, fed it a systemic and I think it is on its way back but late to be a beauty.

Dipt N' Wine in my back concrete planters

Inky Fingers that I have grown for years can spread six to eight feet!

20 comments:

Netty said...

Very pretty!
Coleus is a plant I haven't grown recently, but I'm really liking your 'Inky Fingers'. They sure have come a long way since I planted them!

Sissy said...

Your selections surely demonstrate the variety that the hybridizers have worked so hard to attain. Coleus can be a tough one because it really doesn't like the humidity of the greenhouse. I lost so many flats of it, just melted away. Yours are gorgeous.

Lona said...

I agree with you that there are so many great colors of coleus anymore that they have became a new plant almost. I love the dark colors and the mixes like your Inky Fingers. The texture is so beautiful.

Jennifer@threedogsinagarden said...

Hi Eileen, I didn't plant any coleus this summer and I after seeing your post I wish that I had. You are right coleus has come along way. I had no idea that they could grow to 6 or 8 ft. That's big!

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Netty,

Inkly Fingers is a crawler spreading to be quite large.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Sissy,

I think some of the varieties are more delicate and do not hold up to certain weather conditions. I try to stay away from the sword like foliage but Pineapple Splash seems to be quite hardy.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Lona,

Inky Fingers is slow to start this year but we have had some strange weather.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Jennifer,

Inky Fingers is a spreader in both directions from the middle. Mine is very slow this year but we will see.

Eileen

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Eileen,
It is amazing how many different varieties of gorgeous coleus they now have. I love Sedona. I looked for two years before I found one in my town. It goes nicely with the darker foliage that I love.

That inky fingers sure is a good spreader. I think I had that one year, but mine probably did not spread as much as yours. The tiny feathery one I planted this year did nothing. In fact it died out in most of the containers. I was hoping for a big plant. I will have to try a different one next year.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Zoey,

I love Sedona but mine looks terrible this year. After getting some medicine it looks better but still small.

Eileen

Beth said...

Beautiful coleus! So colorful. I love Pineapple splash and Indian Summer.
Beth

Gloria Bonde said...

Wow! how beautiful!

joey said...

Adore coleus ... wow, what a fine collection!

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Wowowowow, you may have just changed my mind set about coleus.

Thanks a zillion,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Balisha said...

I love coleus...now. Used to be so few to choose from. Now they are gorgeous and add a big splash of color in the garden. Thanks for showing some of the varieties.
Balisha

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Beth,

I actually think those two are my favorites also, so showy.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Joey,

I try to sample some new ones each year, some a disappointment and some a surprise.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Sharon,

I wasn't too crazy about coleus for years but lately they are such great performers.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Balisha,

I am amazed at the colors and their ability to withstand the sun.

Eileen

Indoor Fountains said...

Wow!! Seems as though these plants would make great ground cover, yes?