Monday, October 11, 2010

Gardening Can Bring You Back In Time

As my doorbell rang, you know the Reggie dog is racing for the door and I am calling my husband for help and trying to catch the dog before opening the door.  There is a nice lady standing there with two apples in a plastic bag asking about my big hydrangea out in front.  I told her it was Limelight and she stated she was having several put in that she bought at Home Depot.  Oh, she also asked for a cutting of Limelight and I told her to take one that didn't face the house because I am leaving quite a few on this year for winter interest.



Before she left I asked her name and when she told me I recognized it as one that I had met at least twenty-five years ago when shopping with my daughter.  I said we went to high school together didn't we, and after exchanging information we both stood there in shock!



In the past year I have met several people at the garden clubs that are out of my young adult past and we have thoroughly enjoyed going over old memories and catching up on what we do now.  Gardening is not only for a lifetime but it brings people together with a common bond.


She didn't see the Unique Hydrangea around the corner.

As she handed me the apples I said, let's get together and talk, she is a poet and I am a garden blogger what better combination could you have!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Eileen, I am not at all surprised that your Hydrangeas have caused such a stir in your neighbouhood since they are superb. How lovely, though that they have brought you back in touch with a friend from the past.

Shall we be seeing your postings become more poetic in future?!!

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

Love your photos of your Limelight hydrangea! Gorgeous shrub! It's a small world, isn't it?

Unknown said...

Hydrangeas are so beautiful. How nice to meet an old friend again.

Balisha said...

Your hydrangeas are so pretty. How ironic that a school friend would be at your door.It is a small world..Balisha

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Edith, I have not been a poet since the second grade when I won a prize and they wanted me to recite it to the whole school! Not for me, so I haven't written a poem since. My visiting lady I find out is quite accomplished, published material and taught poetry at the college level.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Lisa, I think I would have to say Limelight is my favorite. They now have a dwarf Limelight, but I wonder how big the flowers get.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi RG,

Yes, I was quite shocked to see her after all this time. We weren't really friends at school and I was surprised that she remembered me.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Balisha,

The hydrangeas even look good now as they are drying.

Eileen

Jennifer@threedogsinagarden said...

What a happy circumstance to have an old friend just show up on your doorstep like that. I live far away from my childhood home and so I have never had the chance to met up with old schoolgirl friends. I often think about them though and wonder how their lives turned out.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Jennifer,

It is fun to see people from the past and it usually a surprise to see what paths they have taken.

Eileen

Shirley said...

Such beautiful photos of your Unique Hydrangea! How neat to meet someone through your garden club whom you knew from years previous.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Shirley, can you believe she wasn't even in my garden club, just rang the doorbell.

Eileen

Anonymous said...

What a fun story. I'm just glad you were home at that particular time. I hope the two of you can get together and share old times. Your hydrangeas are beautiful. No wonder she stopped.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Eileen girl I am back tracking on posts trying to catch up and I loved this story ! plus the beautiful hydrangea photos of course .. isn't it funny how you become reacquainted with people ? .. I'm afraid our military way of life never left us to live in a "home" town but this was so fun to read I want to imagine what that would be like : )
Joy

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Joy, I grew up in the big city, so I was quite surprised when I moved here as a young adult. Some people were born here and just never left. My children moved back here when they had children so it has a hold on people.

Eileen