Tuesday, May 04, 2010

The Pergola Of All Pergolas

I fought this pergola for a long time, just feeling it was an unnecessary expense and I didn't really mind the sun later in the day because I didn't go out there!

I lost, my husband was obsessive regarding the building of this pergola.  He had at least six landscape/pergola people stop by the house to give estimates on this wooden creation.  Finally, he settled on a person who was a carpenter and a landscape designer.  Our patio was irregular so it was not the easiest pergola to design. 

After many consultations, it was decided that the pergola would have grooves in the headers to accommodate a product called Shade Tree http://www.shadetreecanopies.com/ which are constructed of sunbrella fabric that draw along grooves with tracks inserted to cover the pergola.  This is not a popular product in the Midwest so here we go again doing something that nobody knows what we are talking about!

I have Green Velvet Boxwood in the raised bed along one side of the patio and I use containers that can be moved if required

Well, it's up and we did buy covers this year so we don't have to take it down, and I must admit it does a great job keeping that intense sun from the patio.

18 comments:

Larry said...

It's beautiful! Larry

allanbecker-gardenguru said...

We gardeners make so many decisions in our head, alone, that sometimes it becomes difficult to engage in a dialogue about our outdoor space with someone else. I've had animated discussions on similar topics with my wife.

In the end, your pergola is spectacular. I hope it brings you great pleasure. The sunbrella is a very clever idea. Do you need to remove it in winter to avoid damage from snow?

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Allan, the first year we took it all down,washed them off, folded them up an stored them in our basement. It was a big job reinstalling them in the spring.

The company made sunbrella covers that when the shades are compressed the covers fit over them and snap shut. We purchased them for this year and they worked great!

These are really an innovative idea and are used mostly in the south, but our patio was like living in the south.

Eileen

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Oh Eileen I love it!! It really is an outdoor room - you will get so much use out of it I'm sure.

You couldn't send your hubby over here to organise mine could you - LOL!!!! I'm desperately trying to convince my OH that we need a pergola!

Jeanne
x

Becca's Dirt said...

I love it. Never seen one like this before. I'll be looking for this to come up on my fav channel - HGTV.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Jeanne,

I hope you get your way. My husband would be over there in a minute. I have cousins in Ireland and my dad lived in England for eight years.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Becca, I guess it was worth it because now we can sit outside and enjoy the garden.

Eileen

beckie said...

Eileen, it really does look great. I am sure you are spending much more time on the patio now. :) The boxwoods add a sense of boundry and makes the patio seem more like a room. Good idea to plant them and to have movable containers.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Beckie, what's nice about the boxwoods is that they do not draw insects to the patio.

Eileen

Lona said...

Well I am with your hubby on this one. It looks so wonderful. What a handy covering. You can change it with the weather or what ever mood hits you on a given day. I know I am the only one who has different mood days LOL!

joey said...

Scoot over, Eileen, I'm on my way over ... love it!

Dave@TheHomeGarden said...

Very nice! I have a great spot for one like that...maybe my 2011 project!

garden girl said...

Love it! I'm with your hubby on it too. (Hmmm. . . maybe I should have your hubby talk to my hubby!)

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Garden Girl,

If he reads this it will really go to his head!

Eileen

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It's just beautiful! I love seeing more of your garden around it too. I usually am the one talking my husband into things for our yard :)

PS Thanks for your help on the id of my Clematis. I think it is 'Miss Bateman'.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Catherine, I did look it up in my plant encyclopedia and it does say it has red anthers. I will have to look at my Miss Bateman when it blooms. For some reason I thought it looked just like Henryi (maybe it is Henryi?)

Eileen

BernieH said...

It really does look fantastic ... what a great look! Your patio looks and probably feels more like an outdoor room ... a lovely spot to relax in.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Yes Bernie, my husband likes to sit out there quite a bit with his buddy Reggie (our Westie).

Eileen