Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Confessions of a Magazine Junkie

I stopped at the local grocery store today on my way home from work.  Well, OMG, the first garden magazines have arrived!  There were only two in my local store, and I put both of them in my cart before looking at the price.  I got quite a shock when I saw that one was $8.00 and the other one $10.00.  I took another look at each one and settled for the more expensive one because it had a lot more to it as far as pages.  Not a great way to choose, but I didn't have time to go through the whole issue.

For many years I subscribed to several gardening magazines, bought at least two per week during the gardening seasons.  I probably would have bought them in the winter if they hadn't stopped publishing!  Finally, I said to myself, "this has to end!"  I wasn't really getting a lot of new ideas or learning about new plant introductions.  The internet could answer all of my questions, so I settled on one beautiful gardening magazine and was satisified up until today.

Dinner in the oven, I couldn't wait to sit down and begin perusing this lovely publication called Great Gardens Made Easy,  The sections really grabbed me with titles like retreats, privacy, what color can do, heat up your escape, living walls and natural inspirations.  There are so many subjects, I can't even share them all in this short blog.  I have to say, I think this one is a winner!  It has multiple plans, not that I have the space to implement one, and references many new plant introductions. 

I have not purchased a plant magazine as the grocery store in a few years.  I am starting to worry about a relapse!


allanbecker-gardenguru said...

I subscribed to 6 gardening magazines last season and have already canceled 2 of them.
They are fine reading when the weather doesn't permit me to be in the garden and when I am traveling. They can't replace the real pleasure of gardening. Eventually, I expect that they will run out of new-found knowledge to share with me and I will have to cancel a few more.

Kathleen said...

I am a fellow junkie too. I always have to ask myself "do I really need this?!!" Of course when it comes to gardening ideas the answer is always "yes." I always justify the purchase because I look at them over and over again! It sounds like you picked a good one. Enjoy.